Saturday, February 11, 2023

 OK LETS GET SERIOUS


Trying to look at everything with an open mind, let us take an "unbiased" look at 

this "PUNCH" to BUNCH thing.


 Of course, taking the previous condition of my Genius mindset, it is possible 

that I was, indeed showing myself to be a bit biased:) however I am used to 

that as my brain debates within itself like it was in a debate competition. I'm 

ready to take either side in a debate! Yep, i'm wierd, but as they say, knowing 

yer problem and admitting that; is half the battle toward the cure!


Here I am then, telling you that as the geno's did with Punch/Obama subject, 

my information comes to me about the rest of my family of BUNCH much the 

same way!


To make the sin greater; I knew that before I wrote those articles of.....er..

"Impeachment" (Yeah, that's funny to me. And that kind of tickles ma mind:)


I'm thinking about my Paul Bunch. You see that is about all we have....oops!

I typed "We" when I know better than include myself with the real Geno's work. 


You see, by necessity I am only A name collector. But as I was saying, all they 

have to work with is a hint of who lived where, and next to whom, and most the 

importantly when!


In a world not filled by; your local pharmacy, corner Quikstops, and supermall 

Opticians with "one hour" service for new trifocals. Perhaps two barbershops just 

in your neighborhood. There was no interferance in their lives, let alone 

"paperwork"! Back then there was no streets, let alone corners! 


Without much Government in their lives, there would be nothing to mark their 

passing in this world. What is left to us would be the usual haunts for family

searchers. Their list would be short indeed, as it is for any before the 1600's for 

sure. An old letter; a Bible; recorded deeds; "I remember what momma told 

me"; and that's about seventy percent more than people have to chase. Later, in 

the case of the BUNCH family, court cases are a big trail. Especially in the 

jurisdiction of the "Hanging Judge" of Arkansas. Drunk; Robbery; Thieft; Murder; 

all in the records. And back in Tennessee; counterfieting coins. Back in Old 

Virginia, it was Indians stealing hogs! And a biggie; trying to marry a White 

Woman! The audacity of some people that don't know they place.....:) 


Unless you were mentioned in some Officers' memoirs, or book about travels, 

perhaps a later surveyor's notes, then you were out of luck. So census records 

are very important. Before that, family Bibles filled with births and deaths, which 

are admissible in some cases in court, are a treasure, and a blessing. 


"Quitrents" would be all important. And if your a "Newby" and don't know of 

those, you have a bit of reading to do to catch up.


A hundred years ago, checking me for a "Secret Classification" was easy. The 

Navy came to town in civilian suits, so as to not stand out, which made them 

stand out. Overalls and a soiled, beat up old Stetson, as the Texas Rangers wear 

whenever they trapes around town would have been better. A quick in and out 

to drink a five cent bottled coke, is much better than a "Lawyer Look", or 

Insurance salesmen look, provoking a "stay away from me" attitude you would 

get from most people back in them days! Having a talk with my barber, the only 

pharmacist, and the principal, and your done. Matter of fact, thinking of it, they 

did all that within five blocks of my house! And of course my parents got a 

phone call from everyone they talked to! (I was almost seventeen:)


Well to quit fooling around just to practice my one finger typing skills; lets get to 

the other side of my brain and see what might just mitigate my judgement a 

wee bit. I remembered looking up Punch family hustory. I figured that if it is a 

real name, it must have come from somewhere. Now pulling up my notes from 

my lost file folder, which contains everything after the "C" prompt and the 

"Documents" folder, this is what I found.


"Punch History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms...The name Punch came to 

England with the ancestors of the Punch family in the Norman Conquest of 

1066. It comes from the Latin-Norman personal name Pontius, "hence, 

doubtless, as a diminutive the name Puncheon, variant of Punshon." 


So far, so good. 


"Two other sources claim the name was Norman in origin: having derived from 

the Old Norman French name Ponche or the Old French name Ponce; [2] and/or 

from the Norman name Poyntz or Ponz, a branch of the Fitz-Ponce family. [3]"


French? Sure, they seem to get into every thing:) 


"Early Origins of the Punch family

The surname Punch was first found in various counties throughout Britain. The 

first record of the family was found in the Pipe Rolls of 1181 where Godfrey, 

Phillip Punch(e) was listed. Seman Ponche was listed in the Subsidy Rolls of 

Suffolk in 1327. [2] The Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 list: Robert Punche in 

Oxfrdshire; and Philip Punche in Suffolk. Later the Rolls of Parliament listed 

John Punche, yeoman of the crown (no date given.) [4]"

Oh! So now we have names! we might trace em' down to see which one 

immigrated to the colonies? Skipping down to avoid stuff, we com e to the 

'nitty-gritty.


""The manor [of Linch in Sussex] is described in the Domesday Survey under the 

name of Lince, and at the time when that record was compiled, there were two 

ministers here, with a church. In the 16th century, the place was parcel of the 

estates of the dukes of Norfolk; it afterwards became the property of Viscount 

Montague, and eventually of the family of Poyntz." [6]"


Oh cra-rud! Look what popped up! Most would miss this, not being well-read of 

history, luckily I am. But what a surprise! Especially to me...that name "Poyntz".

Ain't that one of them ancient spellings for BUNCH?


"Anglo-Norman names tend to be marked by an enormous number of spelling 

variations. This is largely due to the fact that Old and Middle English lacked any 

spelling rules when Norman French was introduced in the 11th century. The 

languages of the English courts at that time were French and Latin. These 

various languages mixed quite freely in the evolving social milieu. The final 

element of this mix is that medieval scribes spelled words according to their 

sounds rather than any definite rules, so a name was often spelled in as many 

different ways as the number of documents it appeared in. The name was 

spelled Punch, Poyntz, Pons and others."


That name "Pons" is even closer, And wasn't there a "BUNCH ROW/ROWE" that 

I talked about? Well, it's fairly evident that "PUNCH" and "BUNCH" are involved 

in ancient history of England. End of story! 


Thing is. why was I so....blind?  Ok, ok,  I was close to being wrong. Worse still, 

why is that so hard for a Genius like me to admit?  :)


Later,

Dan Bunch

TEXAS


WHY BUY A DOG WHEN YA GOT A WHOLE HERD OF PLAYMATES?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 9 11 23 Of late, my BUNCH FAMILY GENO searching and categorizing has suffered from the  drouth as well as trying to keep abreast of the new...